Open Road Performer Call Out
Gloucester’s Carnival Arts Partnership* is seeking two professional disabled dancer / performers (or highly experienced amateurs / students) to join us for a Carnival parade project.
We are seeking performers who:
- Have lived experience of disability
- Have dance training and/or experience
- Have an interest (and preferably experience) in processional performance / outdoor arts
- Have experience in (and/or are open to) both improvised and set material
- Are comfortable with audience interaction
- Are interested in learning new approaches to choreography integrating disabled and non-disabled performers
We are exploring how applying the principles of Universal Design to production, costume design and choreography can potentially enable a wider diversity of performers, with different movement possibilities, to access the same high-quality parade performance.
You will be joining Choreographer Jürg Koch (dance artist and educator with specialism in inclusive practice) and Carnival Movement Mentor Manuela Benini and using the choreographic toolkit developed through Dance Unstuck (www.danceunstuck.co.uk).
We aim to recruit c. 10 local disabled and non-disabled community performers to work with the professional team.
Action research for this parade piece is part of a national project, ‘Open Road’, which is addressing the barriers disabled people face in accessing Carnival. Partners are New Carnival Company (Isle of Wight), Together 2012 (London) and Callaloo Carnival Arts (nr. Huddersfield).
*Gloucester’s Carnival Arts partnership comprises representatives of: Art Shape, Dance Unstuck, Gloucester City Council, Gloucester Culture Trust, Hindu Cultural Association Gloucester, Kindred Spirits Art, Your Next Move.
You would need to be available for all the following dates:
Wednesday 13th – Sunday 17th May 2020: Studio exploration and rehearsal (Gloucester)
Thursday 2nd July 2020: one performer will co-present with Jürg Koch at the Association for Events Management Association Conference (Brighton)
Monday 6th – Friday 10th July 2020: Choreography development and rehearsal (Gloucester)
Saturday 11th July 2020: Gloucester Carnival
Wednesday 9th December 2020 (date subject to change): Open Road Symposium (Gloucester)
Accessible facilities will be available at rehearsal and conference venues and on Carnival day. A Support Worker will be present at rehearsal weeks, on Carnival day and at the Gloucester Open Road Symposium.
The Carnival parade route takes about 1 hour over approximately 1.2 miles and includes one area (c. 50 - 60 meters) with a slight incline. There are a few small cobbled areas on the route.
It is a free, un-ticketed event often attracting large crowds (c. 14K). It’s therefore difficult to control use of flash photography (albeit, as it’s a daytime event, this isn’t usually an issue). There is likely to be a lot of noise / loud music.
This project will be co-designed with you to ensure your (and others’) access requirements are fully considered.
We are offering a total freelance contract fee of £1,688 + per diems + travel reimbursement. Accommodation will be provided for dancers who live outside commutable distance of Gloucester. This is for:
- Attendance of 2 rehearsal weeks
- Performance on Carnival day
- Participation in the one-day Symposium
The dancer attending the Brighton conference will be paid an additional £150 fee, plus expenses reimbursement.
The work will include:
- working collaboratively with the Choreographer and community performers to produce a high-quality parade piece;
- engaging positively in associated learning (which may include background reading / online viewing) around Universal Design
- performing on Carnival day
- participating in 1-2 presentations at a conference and/or symposium
- support with marketing, PR and/or evaluation as mutually agreed
Please send an expression of interest to Cath Wilkins (Producer) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To express your interest, please forward your CV and a summary on no more than one side of A4, including:
- your contact details;
- why you’re interested in this opportunity;
- what relevant experience you bring;
- at least one link to footage of you performing (N.B. if you have nothing online, please send a link to a Dropbox, GDrive or other cloud-based folder with a film clip). This does not need to be professionally produced
If you need to express your interest in an alternative format, please call Cath on 07917 796 959 or e-mail email@example.com.
Deadline for expression of interest: Friday 13th March 2020